Gas Safety Certificates

Gas safety certificates are issued by Gas Safe registered engineers to confirm that gas appliances are working safely.


After your gas appliance has been installed or serviced, your Gas Safe registered engineer will give you a gas safety certificate. This certificate tells you that the gas appliance is safe and the work meets the safety standards.


It will also tell you when you next need to service the appliance. Getting your appliances serviced every year is vital to its safety and efficiency.


Gas Safety Certificates For Tenants


Tenants must get a copy of the gas safety certificate for their property from their landlord or agent. This certificate shows that gas appliances have been safety checked and serviced every year by a registered engineer.


Ask your landlord or agent for a copy of the gas safety certificate and check the date.

Gas Safety Certificates For Landlords


By law, landlords must provide up-to-date gas safety certificates to their tenants. This certificate shows the tenant appliances have been serviced and the property is gas safe.


The ‘Landlord Gas Safety Record’ is often referred to as a ‘Gas Safety Certificate’ or ‘CP12’ form. Gas Safe Register does not produce its own gas safety certificate but many retailers produce these certificates.


As a landlord, you must have a gas safety check carried out by a Gas Safe registered engineer on all of your properties every year.

What Information Should The Certificate Contain?


As a minimum, the record of a gas safety check must contain:


  • A description of and the location of each appliance or flue checked
  • The name, registration number and signature of the individual carrying out the check
  • The date on which the appliance or flue was checked
  • The address of the property at which the appliance or flue is installed
  • The name and address of the landlord (or his agent where appropriate)Any defect identified and any remedial action taken
  • A statement confirming that the safety check completed complies with the requirements of the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998


Any gas safety record given to you after 1 April 2009 will only be valid if the engineer is registered with Gas Safe Register.

Print Print | Sitemap Recommend this page Recommend this page
© Trueman Estates

This website was created using 1&1 MyWebsite.